Skip to Main Content

Pre-departure and Arrival

Traveling to Canada Winter (January) 2021

Please note that due to COVID-19 there are additional requirements in place for any students planning to travel to Canada for the upcoming term.

All courses and support programming will be delivered online for the January 2021 term. If you decide to travel to Canada, the below will provide you with some more information about current requirements and protocols.

Current Government of Canada regulations require that anyone arriving from outside of Canada must self-quarantine for 14 days.

Government of Canada Quarantine Instructions

Students who are coming to Canada must complete the following steps:

1. Read the RUIC International Student Travel Guide and follow the steps it outlines.
2. Complete the RUIC Student Self-Isolation Questionnaire a minimum of 10 days prior to traveling.
3. Complete the federal ArriveCAN application prior to arriving to Canada.

All students are responsible for making themselves aware of the requirements and are required to follow the RUIC Isolated or Quarantined Student Policy. Further information regarding current travel guidelines is available here.

Fights and Airport Arrivals

Students should plan to arrive at Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ).

If you have any questions, or if you are experiencing delays or difficulties in transit or upon arrival due to immigration issues, please contact A member of our team will call to speak with you. Make sure to provide them with your name, student number and a phone number where we can reach you.

Medical Coverage

International students are required to have valid medical insurance while living in Canada.
RUIC students will be enrolled in Guard Me International Insurance each semester on a (4) month coverage term.

Your coverage will begin on the dates corresponding with the semester you are commencing studies with RUIC, and you will be emailed the medical insurance card after you arrive in Canada.

The medical insurance does not cover dentist visits, so it is a good idea to do your dental work in your home country. Your Health Insurance does not cover your travel to or from Canada, so you should arrange your own travel insurance.

If you arrive prior to the coverage start date, you will need to arrange additional coverage to cover the period prior to the start of your Guard Me plan.

Upon transfer to Ryerson University, students will be enrolled in the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). For more information, please visit the University Health Insurance Plan page of the Ryerson website.

For a copy of the benefit summary, please click here.

For a sample of the policy, please click here. Please make sure you contact for the most updated version of their policies.

For further details regarding medical insurance, please visit:

What to Pack

The transition to a new country can at times be overwhelming. Check out this list of important items you should bring with you on your journey to Canada!

Important Documents

You should make two photocopies of the following documents, one copy to leave with your family at home and one in your suitcase. Please keep all originals in your carry-on luggage.

  • Valid passport
  • Letter of Introduction confirming the approval of your Study Permit from a Canadian Embassy or Consulate
  • Temporary Resident Visa (if required)
  • RUIC Letter of Offer
  • RUIC Letter of Acceptance
  • RUIC Deposit Receipt
  • Proof of funds available
  • Medical records and immunization records, translated if applicable (useful but not required)
  • Medical insurance documents (if you have additional medical insurance from your home country)

Other suggested items

  • Credit card & approximately $200 CDN in cash on-hand
  • International prepaid phone card
  • Medical records and immunization records
  • Contact numbers & addresses (both local and abroad)
  • Adaptors (electrical systems in Canada are 110 volts)
  • Pictures of family and friends
  • Clothing/ Toiletries


The four distinct seasons require a variety of clothing, including warm clothing and boots for the winter, where temperatures can average around -5°C, and cool light clothing for the summer where temperatures average between 24°C to 26°C. The dress code on campus is generally informal, and most students wear casual clothing to classes. However, students are advised to have clothing appropriate for professional and special social functions that may arise.

Household items

Some students may rent private suites or a room in a shared suite or house. Note that the majority of private rentals are unfurnished. When looking for accommodation, check what is included before you sign the rental agreement forms.

Back to Top